Introduction and background:
- Queenstar Community Organization. (QCO) is a registered nonprofit community based organization (CBO) based in Nanyuki, in Laikipia county, Rift valley province, Kenya. It was formed in 2015 and registered on 30/6/2016 with registration number Reg. No NUK/HUDC/009.
- QCO was formed by community members, led by Mrs. Martha Muthoni. The community members decided to join hands to overcome our common needs by pulling our resources and uplifting the living standard through the establishment of income generating activities.
- The most common problem of the community members is poverty as a result of unemployment. Most members are working in quarry, house helps and herding and also most of them are women who are single mothers as a result of broken marriage and as a result of HIV deaths of their partner.
- In QCO, we provide education to Orphans and Vulnerable Children, and we support a feeding program in the school. This has been a challenge to us but we are trying our best to make it work through assistance from our local well wishers.
- We also coordinate a support network for people living with HIV. In this group, we provide psychosocial support, we give on advice to improve adherence to antiretroviral therapy, and assist them with engaging in income-generating activities.
- We also operate a group of physically challenged members. We support them in income-generating activities, and linking them to relevant authorities to get further assistance.
- Health and nutrition
- Economic development
- Food assistance
- Agriculture for food security and livelihoods for sustainability
- Providing basic needs to Orphans and Vulnerable Children, including feeding programs in school.
- Microfinance and income-generating activities for empowerment and self-reliance (for example, poultry, with incubators to provide chicks to other community members for
- Cultural, skill-training and capacity-building of members.
- Improved agricultural methods like irrigation for food security and sustainability.
- Monthly group meetings and home visit to monitor and evaluate progress.
- Community engagement, sports, and trainings
- Establishment of an effective referral system.
- Parenting and caregiving support.
- PLWHIV psychosocial monthly meetings.
- Training on adherence counseling.
- Provision of school uniforms
- Strong partnership with Ministry of Education, Department of Gender, Children and Social Development, and other ministries to share best practices.
- Submission of a monthly report to the ministry of education and attendance at stakeholders meetings.
- Food security and nutrition, including feeding programs in the school
- Training community members on improved agricultural methods and practices, including organic farming
- Nutritional education to OVCs and affected community members.
- Providing chicken to community members.
To meet the community health needs, the main activities are:
- Health screening of community members.
- Medical support and follow-up for special attention cases.
- De-worming and provision of vitamin A supplement for OVCs.
- Conduct home visits to assess health-related matters
- Providing sanitary towels to adolescent girls
- Income-generating activities. For example, via an incubator, we can produce enough chicks to be distributed to every community member.
- Skills training
- Organic farming
To see regular updates, visit and like us on Facebook.
How you can help and join hands in our efforts:
You can support any of the programs listed above. Contributions to the Queenstar Community Organisation via Sahaya International are tax-deductible in the USA. But we will also channel donation made from donors outside of the USA to this program. As Sahaya International is volunteer-based, 100% of the funds we receive from you is transferred to the program. If you like to make a contribution, you can do so in different ways:
- To pay by credit card or paypal, go to our donation page. When you make the donation, enter in the “in honor of” or notes section “Queenstar” so we know your donation is earmarked for this project.
- You can mail a check, made payable to “Sahaya International” to us. Add in the notes field “Queenstar Community Organization”.
1504 Portola Street
Davis, CA 95616
Many thanks for your support!
Testimonial from Ellen Nollet (Belgium):
Last year I went to Nanyuki as a volunteer. In our free time we went to Queenstar, a little school for children who need it the most. Apart from education, they give these vulnerable children extra love, extra attention, extra food and most importantly, a home. Working with the means that they have, they try their absolute best to give them a future and the structure they need in life. I have never met people more loving, dedicated and selfless. If anyone deserves your help, it’s them without a doubt.